Monday, August 13, 2018

1 Corinthians 16:9

A wide door for effective work has opened to me, AND there are many adversaries. (emphasis mine)

This verse covered in yesterday's sermon is stuck in my head as we get ready for the next homeschool year.   Paul does not make a great opportunity mutually exclusive from roadblocks.  Just because a path is good, doesn't mean its easy.  (That's a quote from Tyler not from Paul)

I love that we have chosen homeschooling for our kids.  It is good for our family in the "big picture" way.  But I'll tell you, sometimes it is hard to remember that in the mundane details and arguments of every.  single.  day.    Our adversaries aren't necessarily people...although all our attitudes get in the way sometimes, more often than I'd like to admit.

My adversaries look like doubt - frustration - a messy house - bad attitudes - teenagers - high school level classes - doubt - frustration - phonics - desire for "me time" - piles of laundry - more messes.  Is this what Paul is talking about?  Likely not - he wasn't a mom with 4 kids home all day every day.  He faced much more dire risks in his life.  And yet these are the roadblocks that make me want to throw in the towel some days.

But I have a "wide door for effective work open to me."  With God, we CAN do this thing.  It is not time to run to another thing....even another good thing.  Like Paul needed to stay put, we also need to stay put and just adventure down the path put before us.  It is time to pull strength from God, who never runs out and never feels doubt.  And tackle high school math and phonics at the same time (obviously with different kids-HA!)

No comments:

Post a Comment