Friday, August 31, 2018

Homeschool Week #1

We started school last monday.  So we've done 1 full week of classes. 

On Monday I was afraid that it was going to be a nightmare.  Starting all three boys on a new online program (Monarch from Alpha Omega Publishing) was daunting.  Things didn't go great. 

Tuesday got worse because we discovered we didn't actually complete all of Monday's assignments.  And Lyrick had a total meltdown.  She got to do school with Shane Tuesday night.  It took till and hour passed bedtime to actually finish those 10 spelling words. 

Wednesday, two kids were under the weather.  And yet we plugged along.  And it went better.

But by today, I feel like this could actually really work for us.  The 3 boys may not like school but they are doing well.  They get on it on their own to get their work done.  I learned how to return poorly done assignments and reassign them within the system.  I can even just have them redo the problems they did wrong. 

Lyrick and I have time to do school.  She loves the biography about Helen Keller that we are reading.  And Griffin listens too, by choice.  She is actually learning those spelling words that gave her such fits on tuesday.  And she read THREE books to me today.  She asked why we weren't reading in that big book about ships (the history reader in our curriculum) today....and it was because it wasn't assigned.  I feel like she is going to leap ahead this year.  And all my worry and fretting will be for nothing.  I sure hope it was for nothing. 

Last year I really felt at a loss for school.  I felt like we were all failing in some way or another.  But this year I feel like we could actually get this. 

Its only week one but I feel successful.  And that is a good feeling!

1 comment:

  1. The first week is always a big adjustment, especially with new curriculum. Our first week was kinda like that, too. Glad you are feeling successful, though! That's always encouraging to a homeschool mama. I am hopeful, as well, that this will be a good year.

    ReplyDelete