Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Feeding the little monsters

So when I look at our schedule, my head spins.  And then I remember, the people around me, that I am responsible for, want to eat...more than once a day.  And I have to have food here and feed them. 

This is how I do it - for now.

Breakfast

Each week I buy ONE kind of specialty breakfast (specialty does not mean special in this case).  We either have a few different bags of cereal, some bagels, maybe we make bulk pancakes on Monday).  They can eat that every day till its gone and I don't even care....as long as they clean it up.  We also always have oatmeal, rice, cream of wheat, toast, eggs, fruit and yogurt.  They are not without choices. 

I try to make ahead either an egg casserole or something healthy for shane and I to reheat and share all week.  Some weeks that goes better than others.  HA

Lunch:

My plan here is to K.I.S.S.  (Keep it simple stupid).  I buy things for sandwiches, fruity lunches (which is what we call homemade lunchables).  And I buy ONE frozen convenience something  (chick nuggets/fries,  frozen ravioli,  fish stick/mac n cheese, hot dogs) each week.  I don't assign things on certain days....we (I) decide which we'll do in the morning when I see how well the day is going.  I also usually have things for tuna or chicken patties, nachos, Quesadillas, as well.  There are bags of chips, veggies, salad fixins, fruit, etc etc etc to fill things out.

Shane and I eat leftovers or we prep something.  Like breakfast, sometimes this works better than others.

Dinner: 

I pick 5 meals each week.  Then I make them on the night they sound good to me....or easy.  ONce a month (we are starting a cycle) a kid picks a meal to make....and they cook it on Thursday night.  Griffin is going first this week.  I was surprised when he chose porkburgers, homemade mac n cheese, and roasted veggies.  I'm excited about how this is going to work.  :)

Snacks.
 I like to bake.  I would like to bake cookies for the cookie jar each week for the kids....but so far that isn't go well recently.  I also enjoy scones and biscuits.  I am going to try to figure out how to fit that in again.  But we always have things like cheese sticks, crackers, stuff for smoothies, sometimes trail mix.

I have to meal plan.  A fridge full of random food stresses me out.  Living 40 minutes from my favorite grocery store means a quick trip to grab that one thing just isn't gonna happen.

This is what is working right now.  We'll see how long it works



No comments:

Post a Comment