Sunday, September 8, 2013

School has started!

So we started school on Labor Day.  Yes, I realize that is a typical "no school" day but we had good reasons.

1. I like to plan for 5 day weeks.  My lesson plans just work much better that way.
2. The King (aka The School Principal) was home on Labor Day so he could help out and see what some of our plans are for the year....
3.  We choose the days we want to take off.  Labor Day doesn't need to be one of them.  

I woke up Labor Day morning knowing we were starting school with a fully formed name, motto, and verse for our school.  Something we haven't ever been able to find.  I've thought about it but since it isn't "necessary" for school I didn't fret and the kids never cared one way or another.  But this year we have a name.  And we love it!  We are the " ***** School of J.O.Y."  Our "motto" is "learning to serve Jesus, Learning to love Others, and Learning to be Yourself."  And our verse is Matthew 22:36b-40

 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[d] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

When I told the kids, they were so excited!  I, honestly, thought they would be all "ok, whatever" and not care so much.  But they thought it was cool (I'm still cool sometimes-woot woot) and wanted to make posters to put on the wall with our school name. YAY!

School went really well the first 3 days.  We were truly a JOY-filled school.  Then the 4th day, we ended up at the dr and didn't really get our school work all done.  And on the fifth day, things got really ugly.  I had high hopes for a smooth sailing first week.  After great day 1 and good days 2 and 3, I let myself think there was potential.  But the better things are the farther they can fall and fall they did.  :(  By Friday night I RAN out the door when the King got home to go for a walk and clear my head (and they finished school work).  (I also tried to sneak into my mom and dad's bathroom in their garage to use it "all by myself" without any interruptions or company.  But it was out of toilet paper so I had to go in and ask and then that totally defeated my purpose-HA!)

I've nearly finished my lesson plans for the coming week and I have hope that we will have decent/good days.  My hopes could be dashed again....that potential is there every. single. day.  But each week (and each day) is new and I'm going to try to start with JOY every morning and not with the stress of the week (day) before.  We are starting a lot of new things this week (karate, Awana, and guitar/drum lessons), so lets hope that we can have a good one.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment