Sunday, January 26, 2014

We got a new microwave....and the can of worms that opened....

So we had an over the stove microwave.  When it started making funny noises not long ago we knew we were going to be replacing it soon.  I didn't want another one over the stove.  My canner didn't fit under it and my stock pots barely fit.  The kids were forever standing on things to make their oatmeal in the mornings.  And it was just HUGE!  Plus, they are kinda spendy.  So we went with a smaller, but big enough, microwave to set on the counter where the kids can reach it and it isn't a pain in the neck....

and then it all became a pain in the neck.

See, we took out that big microwave...and there was a hole in the wall.  Straight through to the siding.  It looks like the microwave was supposed to be vented and then it just, well, wasn't.  But what the heck.  We can't just leave a hole in the wall.  I mean I wish I had all new kitchen cabinets (since the doors keep falling off) Truthfully, I want to renovate the whole kitchen but that isn't in the budget right now   Even still I don't want a HOLE in the wall.  Especially one that lets in cold/hot air.  Clearly cold air is the issue right now.
See the hole.  OMG!  Horrid!

See that cabinet to the left of the stove.  Yeah, it hasn't had a door for a long time.  It fell off and hit me on the head when I opened it one day.  I was less than happy and refuse to put it back up.  I may have thrown a little hissy fit when it happened but its been long enough ago that I don't remember (but it seems like a likely possibility).  So I brainstormed a little and had an idea.  It was simple.  Just gonna rig it up and make it manageable till I get that reno!  Then I decided, if you can't go big you may as well go home and I did this.....
First I decided (upon a friends suggestion) to paint the backs of the cabinets red to match that spot in the center.  I started with the cabinet WITH a door because this red is a freaking NIGHTMARE to paint.  Seriously.  night. mare!

But I got it all done.  Dug around in my mason jar collection (those all have snacks)  The little jars to the right are my most favoritest spices (hello, empty drawer) and the silver cake box holds homemade bread.  Yay!  

But the HOLE still shows.....

Enter cabinet door.  I removed the knob and the hinges.  And printed out a template on the computer....
And I painted it red!  (I thought this phrase was fitting considering the circumstances)
Then I bought some Command picture hanging strips and stuck that sucker over the hole.  (nevermind the dishes)....sometimes creativity overwhelms duty and the dishes will wait for me.

Apart from the new microwave.  This cost whatever 2 pairs of command picture hanging strips cost.  I bought a big pack (cause I LOVE those things) so I would say maybe 50 cents or so.  Not too shabby if you ask me   I call this a WIN!



1 comment: