Thursday, July 25, 2013

A midwesterner's take on Mexican rice n beans

I don't even know if this is a Mexican dish at all.  But I used the same spices I use in tacos and we call our tacos Mexican so that is what I'm calling it.

I used a recipe I found online (I don't know where) as a starting point and then did my own thing....as I am apt to do pretty much any time I cook.  I also do not measure very well so amounts are all approximate.  :)

Neither do I take pictures of food....although I should have....this would have made a pretty photo tutorial with all the colors in the dish.  Ack.  Whatever.  If you want a photo tutorial you'll have to go elsewhere.  I"m assuming my readers are able to dice onions and boil water.  :)

2 T butter
1/2 onion (or more) diced
3 cloves garlic, finely diced or pressed
2 cups white rice
4 cups water
1 1/2 T cumin
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed (I used 2 cups frozen black beans that I had cooked from dry)
2 cups frozen corn
1 lb hamburger, browned
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis

In a large skillet with lid, melt butter.  Add onion and cook until translucent, then add the garlic and stir around a bit.  Add rice and cumin and stir to coat rice with spice.  Let brown a couple minutes.  Then add water.  I let it come to a boil before adding the beans and corn.  Cover and simmer till rice is soft and water is mostly absorbed.  Remove lid and add tomatoes.  Stir well before adding cooked hamburger.  and stir again.

Serve with taco toppings.  The first night we ate this with tostitos and forks (I didn't even need the chips).  For lunch the next day I reheated the leftovers and rolled them in tortilla shells burrito style.  Both were excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment