Friday, August 9, 2019

New Favorite Shirt!

Last February, for the first time, I got "in on a pre-order" of Outlander inspired/theme fabric.  It came sometime in May.  I prewashed it, petted it, carefully stored it and have been SO terrified of cutting into it.  I've got 2 tshirt panels and 4 different coordinating fabrics.  And its stupid to leave it all in a box cause I'm too scared to cut it.  But I LOVE it!  It has so much potential.  But once I make the first cut,  there is no more potential.  It will either be awesome in what I create.  Or be ruined! 

I've done several "practice" tshirts in cheap fabric to find the perfect shirt.  And wasn't overly happy about any of them.  I didn't dislike any of them...but none of them were perfect.  Then I cleaned out my closet and found a shirt I made a couple winters ago that I really like.  It is a turtleneck and 3/4 sleeves so I've not worn it for a while.  

The Merryweather by Stitch Upon a Time has 3 neck options, 3 sleeve length options, a fitted or loose fit option and has some color blocking options built into the pattern.  I decided to stop playing around.  Take a deep breath and make my new favorite shirt.  For the bamboo lycra of the panel (and accent fabric) I decided for a scoop neck, short sleeves and the looser fit.  

And I dove right in....except....
See those white triangles sticking out....yeah, my panel isn't big enough for the pattern piece.

So I did some creative hacking up of the pattern.  Remember you have to add a seam allowance on both sides of any new cuts. when you cut your fabric.

I did it!  I cut the fabric!  

Added the extra strips in a coordinating fabric to create the complete front piece.  

I'm never very good at modeled photos.  But here is the finished shirt. 
It fits perfectly and the fabric is dreamy!  





No comments:

Post a Comment