Friday, August 23, 2019

School Week 1! (and 2!)


We've had our first week and a half and, at the risk of jinxing it, they have been fantastic!

A couple monday nights ago, I had my first Public School mom FAIL!  We went to open house and I didn't take a picture of Lyrick 1) with her teacher 2) at her desk 3) anywhere at all.  We did meet her teacher and find the bathroom and cafeteria and gym.  So yeah....there should be training for that.

Watching Lyrick get on the school bus the first day was a little hard.  (But I did get pictures of that so whew I am getting better.)   So many things for her to figure out.  So many changes.  But she climbed on and found a seat and her bestie got on at the next stop.  It has gotten easier each day. We spend some time getting breakfast together and then sitting on the porch swing to talk, read, and pray before the bus comes (I am under no delusions that this will always happen but I am going to TRY to make it a reality as often as possible) And she has had great stories every evening when she hops off the bus.  She likes recess and lunch.  She packed her lunch 2 days and ate pizza at the school once.  We are making choices and she's helping pack when that's what she choses.  The lunch box we got doesn't work very well so we are picking a new one out this weekend.  She didn't know anyone's name after day one and I gave her an assignment to learn at least one name on day 2.  She learned 2 new names. She learned that her PE teacher knows me and we went to school together.  He was actually a neighbor.  I'm so proud of the success she has had so far.  I think there are some challenges ahead but so far she is happy and finding a groove.  That's all I hoped for in the first 3 days.

In this first full week, we've had a few little things that came up (hard test, "bad kid" on the bus, just little things that she's learning how to cope with) but overall she's still happy....she's just very very tired.  :)

The boys are doing Monarch, an online curriculum from Alpha Omega Publishing.  This year screen time is tied directly to grades (plus physical activity).  We've kept it as simple as we can while also making the point.  I am not a gamer.  I do not understand the draw.  BUT it is the currency which is most important to them so that's how we are "paying them."  Good grades are not incentive enough for them.  Chores are what you do because you have the privilege of living in a nice home, with a full fridge and pantry, and all the clean clothes you could possibly need.  And I am not paid for doing them either.  ;)

So far this plan has gone well.  It is easy for me to check their grades at the end of their school day....and count up screen minutes.  They are also learning to manage their screen time and chose wisely.

The things I have noticed with our new normal....peace.  Granted I do not expect peace each and every day, although that would be nice.  I expect some difficulties.  I've got one in pre-algebra afterall.  And new things at public school could prove difficult.  And we are still living with different personalities in one home.  BUT it has been so peaceful.  I am not so ragged but the boys are also getting along better.  It is crazy how switching it up, well, switches things up.  I kinda wonder how long till this becomes a new normal....and the bickering starts again.

I've had time and energy to accomplish things.  I got to sew for an afternoon.  I made muffins and energy bites.  I finished knitting a sweater.  I've exercised every day.  I hung a shelf and shifted some things in Lyrick's room so there is a place for everything and we can keep things in their places.  The kitchen has been clean each evening.  I am not as exhausted.  (I still teach early so coffee is still running through my veins on the regular.)  Little things....but little things I enjoy and had a hard time fitting in.  By the time I had time, I was DONE for the day!

Honestly, I felt a little guilty over how fantastic things have been.  Partially because it kinda, almost feels like "shipping a kid to public school" is a cop out.  She is difficult to teach...so I give up kind of feeling.  But also because if she thrives (as I pray she does), I have wasted so much time being stubborn.  Some things on facebook have fed into this feeling of guilt and made things a little more difficult.   And then we all rode to church in the van together and went to lunch and grocery shopping. And I am SO thankful we have made the decision.

Kids have so many different needs and personalities.  And none of them come with an instruction manual.  And parenthood doesn't come with classes either.  Its just a lot of trying and praying and hoping for the best.  And so far, I feel good with the decision we've made and that it is the best choice for each of our kids at this point in their lives...and I wonder what the future will hold.

   
Here's some pictures!!!

Aiden ASKED to make chocolate chip cookies....I MADE him put on either a shirt or an apron....clearly a shirt was too much work.  :D  But the cookies are good!

Happy girl waiting on the bus!

I need some chairs and a table at the end of our drive for waiting on the bus.

One of Aiden's electives is construction careers....we called in an expert (Pappy) to help draw a to scale elevation plan of our house.

Maverick likes to do school at the bar

I am not sure how Aiden would survive at school-he'd have to put on a shirt.

Griffin's first day of school (in my bed no less)

getting on the bus for the first time!




No comments:

Post a Comment