Saturday, June 6, 2015

Kitchen Reno days 3-5

Well, I haven't had time to get pictures off my card and onto the computer....and I don't have much time today. Once we start a project we don't mess around and we've been BUSY!  This post is picture heavy
All I did on day 2 was remove the cabinets that were along this wall. 

Day 3 started early (before 630) and we started by putting up "stiff legs" on either side of the stud wall coming down (the 2X4 in the foreground of the photo are 2 of them.  Then we took after the stud wall with pry bars and the big splitting maul.  Everybody who wanted got in on the action.

We added a 2X6 header (center board in this picture)  at the very top since this is the "seam" where the 2 sides of our modular were joined.  All the other lumber you see is part of the stiff leg set up and is temporary.

After the 2X6 header came three 2X6 on either side (which are hard to see) that are the posts....Then two 2X12 boards that were screwed together into a beam goes across the top on edge as a support.  That sucker was HEAVY but we got it.

Then out came the stiff leg.  The wall is out and the ceiling is still up.  Oh happy day!

I pulled all the paneling off the wall pictured above while the guys were doing the beam....

We took out a small section of the above wall that is the same width as the master closet on the opposite side of that wall....

We popped the wall back a few feet taking about 1/2 of the master closet (that was bigger than necessary)....now I have a walk in pantry (well 1/2 of one....still needs the stud walls and door on the kitchen side)  But that will have to wait for another day.
M helped daddy put one of the sheets of paneling inside the new pantry.
It is hard to stop now.  We are on such a roll but we've got other things we have to do.  Hopefully we'll be able to get the pantry completely boxed in this weekend....but I'm not sure we will.  I will be ordering cabinets on Monday (1-2 weeks for delivery) and getting paint for inside the pantry (we're using paneling we salvaged from different rooms and they are 2 different colors so I'm painting them all white) and chalkboard paint for the pantry door.  We have the lumber to trim out the beam but I will be staining those before we install them.  And pantry shelves to put in and food to put on said shelves.  So I'll have plenty to keep my busy while we wait for the cabinets to arrive.

It is so cool to see the vision in my head actually coming together as I'd hoped it would....

No comments:

Post a Comment