Monday, January 8, 2018

MY RESUME

As the last year ended, we decided I would try to find a ligit work-from-home job. In doing this, it has made me think of what my "work experience" on a resume actually looks like.  It is both full and empty all at the same time.

I have a Bachelors degree but in my field of study (all those years ago) I would have needed to continue on and get a masters in order to work in that field (thankfully it is valuable outside that field)...Instead I got married and started a family and now my skill set looks something like this....

  • story reader
  • teacher to 4 grades at one time
  • referee
  • personal driver
  • minor plumbing (as in using plunger or plumbing in a sink and drain)
  • minor electrical (wiring outlets, switches, and light fixtures)
  • basic construction and demolition
  • interior design
  • organizer
  • laundry master
  • dishwasher
  • cook/baker
  • balance/reconcile a checkbook
  • gardener
  • preserver of food
  • menu planner
  • penny pincher
  • detective (cause "Nobody" couldn't have dumped all the toys on the floor)
  • vet duties (including giving shots, jamming pills down throats and goat OB)
  • knitter
  • sewist (which is a term I'm not incredibly comfortable with but prefer over sewer-not to be confused with sewer-English is so much fun)....PS why don't we say seamstress anymore?)
I don't think any of those things will land me a job....but I feel pretty stinkin accomplished anyway.    And a few of them might actually help.  

I may not have a corner office (although my office is technically in a corner).  I have learned SO much as "just" a stay at home mom.  I also still have MUCH to learn.  As my kids grow I have to grow right along with them.  So I may not wear business casual every day....I may spend more time than I should admit in my pajamas....but I've got skills!! 

Oh, and I can also catch vomit that is not my own in my hands.  Not even joking.  So I guess college wasn't a total waste of time.  (Kidding!)  

No comments:

Post a Comment