Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes

We eat the same things for breakfast all the time.  And it gets old.  But so often we need something quick, easy and FILLING.  Cereal just doesn't cut it around here.  The three boys will demolish a box of shredded wheat in one sitting...so I find myself baking for breakfast a lot.  Still many coffee cakes and muffins are really just cake and cupcakes in hiding so I am forever trying to find something that is good for us, fast, and will prevent the need for snacks for at least an hour. :)  This one fits all those requirements.  

recipe from Simply in Season cookbook
Stack of hot pancakes ready to head for the table.  YUM!
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk or plain yogurt (I used buttermilk)
Stir together, cover,  and let soak in refrigerator overnight. 

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup oil
In the morning , stir into oat mixture.

1/2 cup flour
2 Tbls sugar
1 teas baking powder
1 teas baking soda
1/2 teas ground cinnamon
1/4 teas salt
Mix all together in a small bowl.  then add to oat batter and mix briefly.  Fry in a hot, greased frypan. 


You can also stir in shredded apples or blueberries.

I found this batter to be very sticky and wet.  Almost like it needed more flour.  But I cooked it as written and MAN was it good and filling.  I could only eat 2 smallish ones.  I'm not sure about adding apples or blueberries since the batter is already so wet...but I bet I try it someday.  :) 


With butter and real maple syrup...ready to eat.  YUM!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment