Thursday, October 20, 2011

While I'm Waiting... (or The Hardest part of adopting...so far)

Waiting patiently is not one of my better qualities.  I could blame living in a world instant messages, texting, drive thru, microwaves, and worldwide connectivity for my impatience.  But while that certainly doesn't help matters, I think I am often just an impatient person.  As I think and type, I am not necessarily impatient for things to happen...just impatience for information.  Maybe my struggles aren't really due to impatience (but that doesn't help any)...maybe it is my need to know what is going on or to even be in control.  So I am struggling with impatience for information and a need to be in control of that information.

In the stage where we are in our adoption, all we can do is wait.  Wait for the phone to ring.  I am not enjoying this stage at all.  I subscribe to Proverbs 31 ministries and earlier this week the devotion was called "Tired of waiting."  I thought "Ooo, this is just for me."  She talked about Isaac who waited 20 years after marrying Rebecca before they had any children....and at the time their twins were born he was sixty!  I realize that I have already been blessed with children but the encouragement during the time of waiting was not what I was hoping for although I did understand the point.  :)

The King has to hear about how much the waiting stuff stinks from me all the time and he heard this song and got it for me this week as well.  

 

In a devotional on waiting that our home study social worker suggested for us, I read this today "None of us will take the same path in like, but all of us will experience disappointment....While powerlessness to control the future poses great frustration for some people, for others, it brings tremendous security"  (Trust, Hope, Pray by Luke and Trisha Priebe)

Although we are waiting on an adoption, everyone is waiting for something at some point in their life...medical diagnosis, a first home, a spouse, to graduate, to get pregnant or to into labor, to get a drivers license, a new job and other things too many to list or count.  No one is exempt, not by age, gender, financial status, or skin color or any other thing.  And as the song says, I pray that while we are waiting we still serve and worship even if it isn't easy and the wait seems crazy hard.

"God is our refuge and our strength, a very present help in trouble.  Therefore we will not fear though the earth  gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the seas, though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at it's swelling.  Psalm 46:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment